r and s

Sheila Watts sw271 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 23 15:53:53 UTC 1998

Thank you for helpful postings to date. Apologies for suggesting that the
Latin development was peculiar to verbs - I had lost sight of the wood for
the trees.

If I have it right, English adhere comes from a Latin verb of which the
infinitive is hærere and the fourth principal part hæsum, so Latin
rhotacism must be more complex than just 'inlautend zwischen Vokalen',
which was the description I had found. What had struck me was the similar
effect (to Germanic) of having a change in consonant across the principal
parts of a verb.

Sheila Watts

Dr Sheila Watts
Newnham College