r and s

H. M. Hubey hubeyh at Montclair.edu
Sun Oct 25 17:54:01 UTC 1998

Ralf-Stefan Georg wrote:

> And there is the Bolghar-Turkic Rhotacism, which changes Common Turkic
> *-z-, -z to -r-, -r in the languages of the Bolghar branch, viz. Volga
> Bolghar and Modern Chuvash.
> St.G.

Unless I am wrong the word for 5 in Chuvash is pilek (which to me sounds
a lot like 'bilek' (wrist, hand) and which sounds to me as if it is
older than Common Turkic 5 (besh). Secondly the weakness of the liquids
in Turkic and Altaic (and Dravidian) is well known. It makes more common
sense to believe that l~r Turkic (Chuvash) is more archaic and these
sounds changed to sh~z because the eastern languages did not have the
liquids, than to assume that it is a rhotacism.

--
M. Hubey
Email:          hubeyh at Montclair.edu    Backup:hubeyh at alpha.montclair.edu
WWW Page:       http://www.csam.montclair.edu/Faculty/Hubey.html