rhotacism from Ray Hickey

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Wed Oct 28 16:56:12 UTC 1998

Another unexotic example of assibilation of a rhotic sound can be
found in several varieties of New World Spanish, where orthographic
<rr>, the lengthened trill, becomes a voiced palato-alveolar
fricative in certain positions.  I recall being struck by this in the
speech of an instructor from Co/rdoba, in the interior of Argentina,
at a time when I knew nothing about the phonetics of Spanish.

In the dialects of Irish I have heard, palatalized /r/ retains a
rhotic quality, though there is a tendency to devoice and assibilate
either "broad" (i.e., non-palatalized) or "slender" (palatalized) /r/
before a voiceless stop (in words like <neart> 'strength,' <cearc>
'hen').  In Scottish Gaelic dialects, however, slender /r/ has some
very diverse realizations; at least some speakers from Lewis in the
Outer Hebrides have a voiced interdental fricative (at least that's
what it sounds like to me).

Jim Rader