s > r

D. Anthony Tschetter-Breed tonybreed at juno.com
Fri Oct 30 11:50:39 UTC 1998

In Rebecca Posner's "The Romance Languages" (Cambridge 1996, p.230), she
cites an s>r transformation in Sard, with the plural definite article
"sas":

"Even in Sard we find assimilation of -s before voiced consonants:
sar dentes 'the teeth', sa mmanos 'the hands', for sas dentes/manos."

I don't know if this transformation exists throughout Sard or in limited
areas.  In that section, Posner talks about the general weakness of /s/,
transforming, variously, to /j/, /h/, /S/, and /x/ via /S/, as well as
dropping completely in certain cases (in French), in addition to the Sard
example.

-Tony Breed