Mixed Languages

Alexis Manaster-Ramer manaster at umich.edu
Mon Feb 1 21:17:19 UTC 1999

Mark Hubey responds to my posting wherein
I said that while mixed languages (like
Mitchif, Loshnekoudesh etc.) do exist,
there is no sense in treating Semitic as
one, saying:

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, H. Mark Hubey wrote:

> It would be possible to make similar ones for language families.
> For example, Semitic would have two parents (one of them the
> African branch) and the other parent would be also the parent
> or ancestor of IE. Turkic would have two parents, one of them
> proto-Euphratic (from Landsberger) and the other some Altaic
> language. This would fit in with population movements over the
> the last 12,000 years or so when the glaciers started melting.

It is NOT possible to say that because neither Semitic
nor Turkic exhibit any signs whatever of being mexied
languages like the ones I mentioned.  Once again, I ask
Mark to leave linguistics to linguists or at least
those who, without having degrees in linguistics, have
mastered the literature and the craft (like Dr. Michalove
for example--another personal hero of mine).

AMR