Sino-Tibetan (was: Re: Arabic and IE)

Alexis Manaster-Ramer manaster at umich.edu
Sat Feb 6 16:51:39 UTC 1999

Sagart is, of course.  The Chinese words he cites as evidence
of Chinese being related to Austronesian are presumably, for
those of us who do not accept his conclusion, not mere
coincidences but Austronesian borrowings into Old Chinese.
Am I missing something?  Is the question whether anyone
BESIDES Laurent Sagart is finding such borrowings?
I would like to hear if there is.

AMR