Wald's continuing...

Alexis Manaster-Ramer manaster at umich.edu
Fri Feb 19 16:37:15 UTC 1999

I have nothing to add to what I said earlier about Wald's
attacks on Pedersen and on other Nostratic scholars, and
his latest posting does not add any new evidence to substantiate
his charges of racism.  But I would like to object to his
statement:

        "So maybe in the end, "Nostratic" will become the Latinate
        substitute for "proto-WORLD"."

The confusions of Nostratic with "proto-worlds" is a widespread
one, and it is often used to make fun of Nostratic.  Since Wald
has apparently had some slight acquaintance with Pedersen's
work, though, he at least should know that this IS a preposterous
confusion.

AMR