Q: Yakhontov's principle

Alexander Vovin vovin at hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 20 13:02:15 UTC 1999

Larry,

     The article by Sergei Ievgen'evich Iakhontov, Professor of Chinese in
St. Petersburg State University, as far as I know, was never published. It
was circulating, though, widely in late 80s in Russia, as a kind of
handout. Iakhontov devised his own 100 word list, based on Swadesh's list
(I believe he changed around 10 words or so). I believe you can find this
list in Sergei Starostin's "Altaiskaia problema i proiskhozhdenie
iaponskogo iazyka" (Moscow, Nauka (Glavnaia redaktsiia vostochnoi
literatury), 1991). The rest is true: Iakhontov argued that if two or more
languages are related, than the percentage of cognates within 35 list that
contains more stable words must be higher than percentage of cognates
within less stable 65 list. Hope this helps,

Sasha

=======================================
Alexander Vovin
Associate Professor of Japanese
Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
382 Moore Hall
1890 East-West Road
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Honolulu, HI 96822