Sum: Yakhontov's principle

Alexander Vovin vovin at hawaii.edu
Fri Jan 22 14:22:21 UTC 1999

Larry,

    Hmmm... The following puzzles me:

>Claim 2: If the proportion of phonetic resemblances in the 35-word list
>is higher than the proportion of phonetic resemblances in the 65-word
>list, then this is evidence that the languages are related.

>This second claim I have big problems with.  I myself do not believe
>that phonetic resemblances are of any significance at all in comparative
>linguistics, at least in the absence of a rigorous statistical
>underpinning.  Given the current conspicuous disagreements among the
>linguists working on statistical approaches to comparison, and the plain
>absence of any statistical approach that is generally regarded as valid
>and effective, there can be no such underpinning at present.

    I also have a big problem with this claim, and to the best of my
memory, I do not recollect it to be present in the Iakhontov's handout
that I had before, although he might have added it later. Is that
something more recent?

Sasha

=======================================
Alexander Vovin
Associate Professor of Japanese
Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
382 Moore Hall
1890 East-West Road
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Honolulu, HI 96822