phonetic resemblances

Alexis Manaster-Ramer manaster at umich.edu
Wed Jan 27 18:37:40 UTC 1999

Examples: Slavic, Romance, Germanic, Indo-European, Shoshonean
(later subsumed under Uto-Aztecan), Semitic, Malayo-Polynesian,
Samoyedic,
Finno-Ugric, Turkic, Mongolic, Tungusic (for these last five
see the paper by Sidwell and myself in JSFOu on Strahlenberg).
I am not as sure but I think the same is true for Athapaskan,
Algonquian (parts of it anyway), and many other of the
Native American language families that are universally
recognized.

Finally, a particularly clear example is the Comecrudan
language family proposed by Goddard 1979 and embraced
by Campbell and as far as I can see universally accepted
(in my scheme, of course, it is part of a larger
Pakawan family).  The small number of attested forms
precludes any meaningful talk of regular sound correspondences
since these would have to have one example each.

Alexis