books for trade or sale

Lyle Campbell l.campbell at ling.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jul 2 14:53:28 UTC 1999

Thank you for your interest in the books I offered to trade or sell.  Many
more people responded to my message than I had expected, and most were
asking to buy rather than trade.  So, rather than answer each of the many
message individually, I will simply add prices to the original list and
then send this back to you all and ask you both to forgive this informality
and to write me again to tell me whether the price is acceptable to you for
the book(s) you wanted.  I do prefere to trade, and so will give trade
offers priority over sales offers, though there were very few offers of
trade.  (I'll add some annotations to the list to some of these about their
condition.  Most of the books are new, accept that some of these do have my
name written on the first page.)  In order to be fair, where more than one
request for the same book was received, I'll give first who responded first
chance to say whether he/she still wants the book at the price here; if
he/she does not want it for that price, I'll give it to the next earliest
request, and so on until it is sold.  So, please let me know whether you
want the book(s) you wrote about at the price here.  Again, sorry for not
responding to everyone individually.  (Also, can you send your regular
mailing address if you do want the book(s).)

        Thanks again, Lyle

Books for Trade or for Sale
Lyle Campbell
(l.campbell at ling.canterbury.ac.nz)

Aikhenvald, Alexandra.  1996.  Amazonian Languages.   Canberra:  Australian
National University.  [Readings for her course at the Australian
Linguistics Institute; 17 photocopied papers.]
$5.00

Anttila, Raimo.  1989.  Historical and Comparative Linguistics.  (2nd
edition.) Amsterdam/Philadephia:  John Benjamins Publishing Company.
$15.00

Bell, Allan and Janet Holmes.  1990.  New Zealand Ways of Speaking English.
Clevedon Philadelphia:  Multilingual Matters.
$20.00

Boas, Franz. 1922.  Handbook of American Indian Languages, Part 2.
Washington:  Government Printing Office.
$60.00

Bonvillain, Nancy.  1993.  Language, Culture, and Communicaton The Meaning
of Messages.  Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey:  Prentice-Hall.
$5.00

Company Company, Concepción (ed.). 1997. Cambios Diacrónicos en el
Español..  Mexico: Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.
$16.00

Crowley, Terry.  1992.  An Introduction to Historical Linguistics, 2nd
edition.  Auckland:  Oxford University Press.
$5.00

Crystal, David.  1995.  The Cambridge Encylopedia of The English Language.
Cambridge:  Cambridge University Press. [489pp.  Absolutely new.]
$35.00

De Ara, Fr Domingo.  1986[1571].  Vocalulario de lengua tzeldal según el
orden de Copanabastla.  Mexico:  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.
[520pp., contains both facsimile of original 1571 ms plus typescript
version.]
$20.00

Furst, Jill Leslie.  1978.  Codex Vindobonensis Mexicanus I: A Commentary.
Albany:  Institute for Mesoamerican Studies, State University of New York
at Albany.
$6.00

Girard, Victor.  1971.  Proto-Takanan Phonology.  Berkeley and Los Angeles:
University of California Press.
$6.00

Heine, Bernd.  1997.  Cognitive Foundations of Grammar.  New York:  Oxford
University Press.
$17.00

Hertzler, Joyce O.  1965.  A Sociology of Language.  New York:  Random House.
$5.00

Hopkins, Nicholas A. and J. Kathryn Josserand (eds.).   1979.   Estudios
Linguisticos en Lenguas Otomangues.   Mexico:  Instituto Nacional de
Anthropología e Historia.
$5.00

Itkonen, Erkki. 1946.  Struktur und Entwicklung der ostlappischen
Quanatitätssystaeme. (Memoires de la Société Finno-Ougrienne, 88.)
Helsinki:  Suomalais-Ugrilainen Seura.
$8.00

Jayaram, BD and KS Rajyashree (eds).   1998.  Goals and Strategies of
Development of Indian Languages.  Mysore, India:  Central Institute of
Indian Languages.
$6.00

Joos, Martin (ed).  1963.  Readings in Linguistics, 3rd edition.
Washington DC:  The Graphic Arts Press, Inc.  [Cover somewhat sun-faded,
but otherwise in very good condition.]
$6.00

Keller, Kathryn C and Plácido Luciano G.  1997.  Dicconario Chontal de
Tabasco (Mayense).  Tucson:  Summer Institute of Linguistics.
$20.00

Korhonen, Mikko. 1974.  Die Konjugation im Lappischen:
Morphologisch-historische Untersuchung II:  Die nominalen Formkategorien.
(Memoires de la Société Finno-Ougrienne, 155.)  Helsinki:
Suomalais-Ugrilainen Seura.
$8.00

Kuusi, Matti. 1949.  Sampo-eepso:  typologinen analyysi.  [Sampo epic:  a
typological analysis.] (Memoires de la Société Finno-Ougrienne, 96.)
Helsinki:  Suomalais-Ugrilainen Seura.
$4.00

Lass, Roger.   1984.  Phonology:  An introduction to basic concepts.
Cambridge:  Cambridge University Press.  [Has some heavy underscoring in
different colors on numerous pages.]
$5.00

Laughlin, Robert M. 1988.  The People of the Bat:  Mayan Tales and Dreams
from Zinacantán.   Washington and London:   Smithsonian Institute Press.
$6.00

Levy, Paulette.  1987.  Fonología del Totonaco de Papantla, Veracruz.
Mexico:  Universidad Nacional, Autónoma de México.
$5.00

Lope Blanche, Juan M.  1985.  El Habla de Diego de Ordaz.  Mexico:
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.
$3.00

Maldonado Andrés, Juan, Juan Ordóñez Domingo, and Juan Ortiz Domingo.
1986.  Dicconario Mam.  Guatemala:  Centro de Reproducciones de la
Universidad Rafael Landívar.  [513pp.]
$20.00

Moziño, Joseph Mariano.  1913.  Noticias de Nutka.  Mexico:  Imprenta y
Fototipia De la Secretaria de Fomento.  [Complete, but with no cover; paper
is turning brown.  Pages in good shape except for 3 or 4 pages with pencil
underlying; title page a bit roughed up.]
$20.00

Paasonen, H. 1941.  Mordwinische Volksdichtung.  (Edited and translated by
Paavo Ravila, vol. 3.) (Memoires de la Société Finno-Ougrienne, 84.)
Helsinki:  Suomalais-Ugrilainen Seura.
$6.00

Pensinger, Brenda J.  1974.  Diccionario Mixteco.   Mexico:  Dirección
General de Educación Extrascolar.
$12.00

Pinker, Steven.  1995.  The Language Instinct.  London:  Penguin Books.
$5.00

Rensch, Calvin Ross.  1968. Proto-Chinantec Phonology.  (Papeles de la
Chinantla, IV). Mexico:  Museo Nacional de Antropología.
$5.00

Sandberg, Karl C. and Eddison C. Tatham.  1968.  French for Reading.
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey:  Prentice-Hall, Inc.
$3.00

Schele, Linda and David Freidel.  1990.  A Forest of Kings - The Untold
Story of the Ancient Maya.  New York:  William Morrow and Company Inc.
[Paperback edition.]
$10.00

Silva-Corvalán, Carmen.  1994.  Language Contact and Change Spanish in Los
Angeles.  Oxford:  Clarendon Press.
$20.00

Turunen, Aimo. 1946.  Lyydiläismurteiden äännehistoria I:  Konsonantit.
[The phonological history of Ludian dialects.]  (Memoires de la Société
Finno-Ougrienne, 89.)  Helsinki:  Suomalais-Ugrilainen Seura.  [345pp.]
$6.00

Velásquez Gallardo, Pablo.  1978.  Diccionario de la Lengua Phorphepecha.
Mexico:  Fondo de Cultura Económica.
$8.00

Virtaranta, Pertti.  1983.  Karjalan Kielen Sanakirja, kolmas osa  L-N.
[Dictionary of the Karelian language, part 3, L-N.]  (Lexica Societatis
Fenno-Ugricae XVI, 3.)  Helsinki:  Suomalais-Ugrilainen Seura.  [1-583pp.]
[Note:  this is only L-N; since I have two of this and no A-M section, I
would prefer to trade.]
$12.00

Voces Amicorum Sovijärvi:  in Honorem Antti Sovijärvi. 1982. (Memoires de
la Société Finno-Ougrienne, 181.)  Helsinki:  Suomalais-Ugrilainen Seura.
$6.00

Whitney, William Dwight.  1898.  The Life and Growth of Language.  New
York: Appleton.  [Hardcover.  Cover dirty and faded, but otherwise in
excellent condition.]
$20.00

Wichmann, Yrjö. 1987. Wotjakischer Wortschatz.  (Lexica Societatis
Fenno-Ugricae, XXI).  Helsinki:  Suomalais-Ugrilainen Seura.
$25.00

Wierzbicka, Anna.  1992.  Semantics, Culture and Cognition.  New York,
Oxford:  Oxford University Press.
$15.00

Yasugi, Yoshiho.  1995.  Native Middle American Languages An
Areal-Typological Perspective.  Osaka:  National Museum of Ethnology.
[481pp.]
$15.00

Issues of Journals:

Anales de Antropologia.  1983, vol. II:  Etnología y lingüística.  Mexico:
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.
$5.00

Anthropological Linguistics, Volume 38, Number 1.
$3.00

Diachronica Vol xii, no 2, 1995.
$3.00

Journal de la Société Finno-Ougrienne, volumes  52 [1943-4], 53 [1946-7],
54 [1948-50], 55 [1951], 56 [1952], 57 [1953-4], 58 [1955-6], 59 [1957], 60
[1958], 74 [1976], 75 [1977], and 80 [1986].
        $5.00 each

Journal of the American Oriental Society, 10th Volume, number II. 1880.
[Avery, John, "Contributions to the history of verb-inflections in
Sanskrit" pp.219-325; Lanman, Charles R., "Statistical account of
noun-inflection in the Veda" pp.325-60].
$10.00

Journal of Mayan Linguistics, volume 6.
$4.00

Language,
Volume 59, Number 3     $3.00
Volume 65, Number 1.    $3.00

Tlalocan,  Volume 12.  1997.   Mexico:  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de
México.
$10.00

Professor Lyle Campbell
Dept. of Linguistics