R: Q: Am Eng past for perfect

Paolo Ramat paoram at unipv.it
Thu Jul 6 11:34:57 UTC 2000

Dear Larry,
the idea seems quite plausible, from a diachronic point of view. We know for
sure that periphrastic forms developed in many IE languages, including the
Germanic ones, relatively later.
The situation of my native language is very similar. As is well-known,
simple past forms are used only in some varieties of Italian, whereas they
have disappeared or almost disappeared in other varieties. Sicilians may say
_'Ora ora arrivo' il ferry-boat'_,
North Italians,on the contrary, use forms with the 'have' or 'be' AUX also
for very remote events: _'Napoleone ha perso la battaglia di Waterloo'_,
_'N. e' stato sconfitto a W.'_
The use of the simple past ("passato remoto") seems to be limited to
narrative, literary texts.
Finally there are also language varieties (Tuscany) where a functional
opposition between periphrastic and non-periphrastic forms seems to be still
there. (_*?ora ora arrivo' il f.-b._ vs. _...e' arrivato..._
 and conversely
_*?Napoleone  e' stato sconfitto a W._ vs. _...fu
 sconfitto..._)
Thus, the choice depends upon many diatopic, diastratic (i.e.
sociolinguistic), diaphasic factors.
No wonder if Engl. varieties would reflect a similar complex situation.