Uvular R

Blaine Erickson erickson at hawaii.edu
Tue Jul 25 21:29:23 UTC 2000

A while back, I asked for reference on uvular R spreading from French
to German. I would like to thank the following people for their responses:

David Fertig
Tore Janson
Tony Kroch
Roger Lass
Paul M. Lloyd
Marisa Lohr
Marc Picard
Paolo Ramat
Beatrice Santorini
Nigel Smith
Piet van Reenen
Nigel Vincent

Here are the references that they recommended, along with a few I
found myself.

Chambers, J. K. & Peter Trudgill. 1998. Dialectology. 2nd ed.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Eisenberg, Peter. 1994. German. In The Germanic Languages, edited by
E. Konig & J. van der Auwera. London: Routledge.

Howell, Robert B. 1987. Tracing the Origin of Uvular R in the
Germanic Languages. Folia Linguistica Historica 7 (2): 317-349.

Janson, Tore. 1983. Sound Change in Perception and Production.
Language 59:18-34.

Runge, Richard M. 1974. Proto-Germanic /r/: The Pronunciation of /r/
Throughout the History of the Germanic Languages. Goppingen: Alfred
Kummerle.

Wollock, Jeffrey. 1982. Views on the Decline of Apical R in Europe:
Historical Study. Folia Linguistica Historica 3 (2): 185-238.

Many thanks again for the comments and references.

Blaine Erickson
erickson at hawaii.edu