BLS 27 CALL FOR PAPERS

Andrew Simpson bls at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Oct 25 10:42:28 UTC 2000

BLS 27       CALL FOR PAPERS

The Berkeley Linguistics Society is pleased to announce its Twenty-Seventh
Annual Meeting, to be held February 16-18, 2001.  The conference will
consist of a General Session and a Parasession.

Parasession:  Language and Gesture

The Parasession invites papers on all aspects of the interaction of
gesture and language (both signed and spoken). We also welcome work
dealing with related issues in acquistion, psycholinguistics and
cognitive science, as well as papers with historical and sociolinguistic
perspectives.

Invited Speakers:

SUSAN DUNCAN, University of Chicago

SUSAN GOLDIN-MEADOW, University of Chicago

SCOTT LIDDELL, Gallaudet University

General Session

The General Session will cover all areas of linguistic interest.  We
encourage proposals from diverse theoretical frameworks and also welcome
papers on language related topics from disciplines such as Anthropology,
Cognitive Science, Literature, Neuroscience and Psychology.

Invited Speakers:

ELISABETH SELKIRK, University of Massachussetts, Amherst

LEONARD TALMY, State University of New York at Buffalo

SARAH THOMASON, Univeristy of Michigan

GUIDELINES

Papers presented at the conference will be published in the Society's
Proceedings, and authors who present papers agree to provide camera-ready
copy (not to exceed 12 pages) by May 15, 2001.  Presentations will be
allotted 20 minutes with 10 minutes for questions.

Your abstract should be as specific as possible, including a statement of
your topic or problem, your approach, and your conclusions.  Please send
10 copies of an anonymous one-page (8 1/2" x 11") abstract.  Abstracts may be at
most four hundred words.  The reverse side of the single page may be used
for data and references only.  Along with the abstracts send a 3" x 5" card
listing:

(1) paper title

(2) session (General Session / Parasession)

(3) name(s) of author(s)

(4) affiliation(s) of author(s)

(5) address to which notification of acceptance or rejection should be
mailed (Nov-Dec 2001)

(6) contact phone number for each author

(7) email address for each author

**for General Session submissions only:
(8) subfield    (Syntax, Phonology, etc.)

An author may submit at most one single and one joint abstract.  In case
of joint authorship, one address should be designated for communication
with BLS.

Send abstracts to:  BLS 27 Abstracts Committee, 1203 Dwinelle Hall,
University of California, Berkeley, CA  94720

Alternatively, we will accept abstracts submitted via e-mail.  Only those
abstracts formatted as ASCII text or as a Microsoft Word (Mac version
strongly preferred) attachment will be accepted.  The text of the message must
contain the information requested in (1)-(8) above.  Electronic
submissions may be sent to bls at socrates.berkeley.edu.

Abstracts must be received in our office (not postmarked) by 4:00 p.m.,
November 24, 2000.  We cannot accept faxed abstracts.

Registration Fees:
For advance registration we can only accept checks in US dollars drawn on
US banks. Please make the checks payable to Berkeley Linguistics Society, and
send them to:
                                   BLS 27 Organizing Committee
                                   Department of Linguistics
                                   1203 Dwinelle Hall
                                   University of California, Berkeley
                                   Berkeley, CA 94720-2650
                                   USA

Received in our office by February 2, 2001:      Students       $20
                                                 Non-students   $40

After February 2, 2001:                          Students       $25
                                                 Non-students   $40

***Accommodations: BLS will arrange for ASL interpretation if services are
requested through bls at socrates.berkeley.edu before January 22, 2000.***

We may be contacted by e-mail at bls at socrates.berkeley.edu.

Information about transportation to the conference, hotels, and
restaurants in the Berkeley area will be posted on our website shortly.

http://www.linguistics.berkeley.edu/BLS/

Berkeley Linguistics Society
1203 Dwinelle Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720
Phone/Fax: 510-642-5808

find information on BLS meetings and availability of proceedings at:
http://www.linguistics.berkeley.edu/BLS/