Q: 'die', 'dice'

Alan Dench alanden at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 12:27:05 UTC 2001

Dear Larry,

My intuition was, on reading your message, that the situation
in Australia is much as you describe it for the UK. But I
checked.

What you don't discuss in your Q is the status of the plural
in British English.

My quick straw poll of Australian English speakers up and
down my corridor (non-linguists) yields interesting results.
Unanimous agreement (independently surveyed) that 'dice' is
the singular, and that 'die' is the plural. In case you are wondering,
'die' was offered spontaneously as the plural by all I asked.

So, knowledge of the form 'die' persists but it has been
reanalysed. I'd hazard a guess that this is by analogy to
such recognised wierd plurals as 'octopi' etc.

Best,

Alan Dench
University of Western Australia