Q: 'die', 'dice'

Richard Coates richardc at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 11:31:14 UTC 2001

Dear Hist-Lingers,

Just to note that this odd plural occurs also in two words that have
lost the singular, and which themselves have taken over the singular
function: _lettuce_ and _truce_; i.e. just like _dice_ except that this
doesn't yet have the default plural.

I think it is curious that we dice with death and do not die with it. Few
English verbs are derived by conversion from a plural noun - the ones I can
think of are colloquial, perhaps British, and rude (e.g. _I've ballsed up_
`I've made a mistake', `fouled things up').

Richard Coates

--
Richard Coates
University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK

Tel.: +44 (0)1273 678030 (secretary Jackie Gains)
Fax:  +44 (0)1273 671320
Email: richardc at cogs.susx.ac.uk

Website: www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/richardc/index.html