Today's Headlines from NYTimes.com

The New York Times Direct nytdirect at nytimes.com
Thu Apr 5 12:26:19 UTC 2001

TODAY'S HEADLINES
The New York Times on the Web
Thursday, April 5, 2001
For news updated throughout the day, visit www.nytimes.com

QUOTE OF THE DAY
=========================

"If everybody takes their tax cut and spends it at Wal-Mart
or Chrysler -- well, those guys are our customers. And then
maybe our customers would start up the orders they canceled,
and we'd get some benefit from it. I mean, our tax cut
wouldn't be that big, but it does bring out the Republican
in me."

- BARNEY TAYLOR JR., owner of a software company.

Full Story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/politics/05FAMI-POL.html

NATIONAL
=========================

Hope Dwindles in Search for Seattle Fishermen
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/national/05BOAT.html

Pressed Against a 'Race Ceiling'
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/national/05MAYO.html

Departing Harvard Leader to Organize Digital Art
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/technology/05MELL.html

U.S. Proposes End to Testing for Salmonella in School Beef
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/education/05MEAT.html

/--------------------- ADVERTISEMENT ---------------------\

Welcome Home from Saks Fifth Avenue

We've launched our Home & Gifts Boutique at saks.com and we
welcome you to stop by...it's replete with objects of
uncommon beauty, chosen to give pleasure simply by design.
Discover the soul of home at saks.com and in our stores.
Live in comfort. Live in luxury. Live a little.

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/email/saks/sak4501.html
\---------------------------------------------------------/

POLITICS
=========================

House Approves Plan to Repeal Estate Tax
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/politics/05TAX.html

Washington Memo: Now for Bush, a Novelty - Having to Face
Novelty
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/politics/05MEMO.html

China Opponents in Congress Emboldened by China's Moves
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/world/05ARMS.html

Energy Efficiency Programs Are Set for Bush Budget Cut
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/politics/05BUDG.html

INTERNATIONAL
=========================

Powell Offers China Aides Outline for Standoff's End
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/world/05PLAN.html

Beijing Steps Up Its War of Words Over Air Collision
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/world/05CHIN.html

Cattlemen in Lebanon Miss Lucre of Hashish
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/world/05LEBA.html

Expectations Low as Israeli-Palestinian Talks Get Under Way
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/world/05MIDE.html

BUSINESS
=========================

Market Place: Value Investors Warm to Technology Stocks
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/technology/05PLA.html

Advertising: 2 Different Approaches in Aftermath of Tire
Recall
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/business/05ADCO.html

A Stinging Office Memo Boomerangs
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/technology/05TECH-MEMO.html

Risking Ridicule, Some Accountants Talk of Becoming
'Cognitors'
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/business/05ACCO.html

TECHNOLOGY
=========================

In the Storage Race, Will Consumers Win?
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/technology/05STORR.html

Market Place: Value Investors Warm to Technology Stocks
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/technology/05PLA.html

A Stinging Office Memo Boomerangs
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/technology/05TECH-MEMO.html

Recorders to Let You Tame TV
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/technology/05XPOG.html

NEW YORK REGION
=========================

School Board Selects Giuliani Ally as Its Leader
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/nyregion/05BOAR.html

State Senators Ask Verniero to Quit Court
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/nyregion/05TROO.html

Judge Stops Power Project Until Review Is Performed
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/nyregion/05POWE.html

Boy, 13, Arrested After Taking Stun Gun to School
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/nyregion/05STUN.html

SPORTS
=========================

Change Looms in the Masters' Future
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/sports/05GOLF.html

Nomo Hurls a No-Hitter in Red Sox Debut
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/sports/05NOMO.html

Mets Rally in Ninth Is Wiped Out
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/sports/05METS.html

A Royal Drubbing by Justice and Pettitte
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/sports/05YANK.html

ARTS
=========================

Conservators Struggle When Modern Art Shows Its Age
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/arts/05REST.html

Gary Sinise: Unwound and Ready for Some Cuckoo Time
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/arts/05SINI.html

'Passion Play': A Marriage Torn Asunder as Bach and Mozart
Mourn
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/arts/05PASS.html

'No Place to Go': A Nation and a Novelist With Too Little
Sunshine
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/arts/05PLAC.html

OP-ED COLUMNISTS
=========================

By BOB HERBERT: Public Health in Peril

With his home state of Texas an environmental disaster zone,
is it really any wonder that President Bush reneged on his
campaign pledge to seek reductions in carbon dioxide
emissions?

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/05HERB.html

By WILLIAM SAFIRE: The Politics of Apology

China's reaction to what is so obviously an accident reveals
a standard cold-war Communist mindset and exposes Beijing's
national insecurity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/05SAFI.html

HOW TO CHANGE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION
You received these headlines because you requested The New
York Times Direct e-mail service. To cancel delivery, change
delivery options, change your e-mail address or sign up for
other newsletters, see http://www.nytimes.com/email

HOW TO ADVERTISE
For information on advertising in e-mail newsletters or
other creative advertising opportunities with The New York
Times on the Web, please contact Alyson Racer at
alyson at nytimes.com or visit our online media kit at
http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo