Yags: the story thus far

John Bowden john.bowden at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 2 12:30:13 UTC 2001

I was interested in Larry Trask's notes on Lazza as a version of his name.
The process is very productive in Australian English: some of us here have
actually assigned problems based on this naming practice to introductory
linguistics students.

Here's the (as far as I can tell) completely productive rule:

You take a name that has stress on the first syllable and in which the
second syllable starts with /r/.  Chop off everything after the first
syllable and replace it with -zza.  Thus:

Larry -> Lazza
Barry -> Bazza
Marian -> Mazza
Warren -> Wazza
Caroline -> Cazza, etc...

Not sure why so many English names that fulfill the criteria have digraph
/ae/ as the stressed vowel, but there you are.

John