/hw/ and whisky

Robert McColl Millar enl097 at abdn.ac.uk
Fri Feb 2 14:22:03 UTC 2001

Whether or not the <wh> in _whisky_ is 'etymological' or not, it
is still pronounced -- at the very least -- as an unvoiced
semi-vowel (possibly with a velar fricative preceding)in my
(Western) dialect of Scots. I might be a bit suspicious of this
being a spelling pronunciation, along the lines of /hw/ in
_whelk_, which older Scots would call a _wulk_, if it were not for
the fact that here, in the North-East, _whisky_ is tradionally in
line with all other <wh> words in being pronounced with initial
/f/ -- perhaps under Gaelic influence.

Robert McColl Millar
University of Aberdeen
Scotland