Yags: the story thus far

nigel vincent nbvint at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Feb 5 12:20:11 UTC 2001

I don't knowm the answer to Richard's question but I would note that Sharon
also falls under John Bowden's rule. Hence the fact that at the time when
Gascoigne's girlfriend was called Sharon and was in the news for displaying
her underwear, one newspaper ran the inimitable headline: "Gazza's Shazza
hazza new brazza"!
Nigel

>OK for Oz perhaps, but how do you handle "Gazza" the name of the
>tearful footballer, Paul Gascoigne?
>
>Richard
>
>On 2 Feb 2001, at 7:30, John Bowden wrote:
>
>> ----------------------------Original
>> message---------------------------- I was interested in Larry Trask's
>> notes on Lazza as a version of his name. The process is very
>> productive in Australian English: some of us here have actually
>> assigned problems based on this naming practice to introductory
>> linguistics students.
>>
>> Here's the (as far as I can tell) completely productive rule:
>>
>> You take a name that has stress on the first syllable and in which the
>> second syllable starts with /r/.  Chop off everything after the first
>> syllable and replace it with -zza.  Thus:
>>
>> Larry -> Lazza
>> Barry -> Bazza
>> Marian -> Mazza
>> Warren -> Wazza
>> Caroline -> Cazza, etc...
>>
>> Not sure why so many English names that fulfill the criteria have
>> digraph /ae/ as the stressed vowel, but there you are.
>>
>> John

Nigel Vincent                  Tel: +44-(0)161-275 3194
Department of Linguistics      Fax: +44-(0)161-275 3187
University of Manchester       e-mail: nigel.vincent at man.ac.uk
Manchester M13 9PL              http://lings.ln.man.ac.uk/Html/NBV/
UK                               Visit our web-page:
                                http://lings.ln.man.ac.uk/