wh-clusters

Clodagh Lynam clolynam at gofree.indigo.ie
Wed Feb 7 12:36:11 UTC 2001

Hallo Histlingers

I am a Hiberno-English speaker, born and raised in Dublin.
I have been teaching phonetics at tutorial level since 1987.
In my experience, there are very few Hiberno-English speakers who
do *not* distinguish between 'wh-' and 'w-'.  However, my son, who was
also born and raised in Dublin and is now 16, made no distinction until he
was about 8 or 9 years old - what to make of that??

I am fairly sure that I pronounce 'wh-' as a cluster, with lip-rounding on
the 'h'. Could it be simply that there is variation between speakers - some
having a
cluster and some not? I'm a syntactician, not a phonologist, but is there
not some
way of measuring these things?