Call for Papers: Historical Discourse Linguistics

Brita Warvik bwarvik at abo.fi
Wed Jun 20 13:24:00 UTC 2001

First Circular - Call for Papers

Historical discourse linguistics is rapidly emerging as an important
sub-field within historical linguistics and philology. The number of
publications and conference sessions dealing with the topic has
increased in the last few years, but there has not yet been a conference

devoted exclusively to it.

"Organization in Discourse II: The Historical Perspective", to be held
at the University of Turku, Finland, August 7-11, 2002, is an
international conference for historical text, discourse, and pragmatic
studies of any language. Hosted by the Discourse Perspectives on Early
English Project, the conference is a sequel to the successful 1994 Turku

conference, "Organization in Discourse". We now invite papers, posters,
and proposals for thematic sessions for the conference.

The plenary speakers will include A. Machtelt Bolkestein, Laurel
Brinton, Andreas Jucker, Françoise Salager-Meyer, Irma Taavitsainen, and

Laura Wright.

Abstracts for papers (500 words) and posters (300 words) must be
received by 15 January, 2002. Please include a list of 3 to 4 keywords
at the end of the abstract. Papers should be twenty minutes in length.
Proposals for thematic sessions (300 words) must be received by 15
November, 2001. Sessions should be ninety minutes in length. The
conveners will be responsible for speaker selection, and for arranging
the format of the sessions.

E-mail submission, with plain-text abstracts in the body of the message,

is strongly preferred.

More information is available on our website at
http://www.utu.fi/hum/engfil/oid2002.html

Contact us to be included in our mailing list!

E-mail address: oid2002 at utu.fi
Postal address: OID II Conference, Department of English, University of
Turku, FIN-20014 Turku, Finland.

We look forward to seeing you in Turku!

Professor Risto Hiltunen
Chairman of the Organizing Committee