query

curt fredric woolhiser cfwoolhiser at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 1 18:01:34 UTC 2001

This type of borrowing is dealt with by Ghil'ad Zuckermann in his
DPhil Thesis "Camouflaged Borrowing: 'Folk-Etymological Nativization'
in the Service of Puristic Language Engineering." He finds that what
he calls 'folk-etymological nativization' is particularly common in
'reinvented' languages like modern Hebrew (an example he cites is
"deme" < English dummy, which makes use of the Hebrew root d.m.h
'seem alike') and revolutionized Turkish, languages with a
phono-logographic script like Chinese and Japanese, and minority
languages like Yiddish and Romany.

Curt Woolhiser

Curt F. Woolhiser
Dept. of Slavic Languages