query

Debra.Ziegeler Debra.P.Ziegeler at man.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 00:21:49 UTC 2001

Date:          Fri, 02 Nov 2001 13:44:41 +0100
To:            Debra.Ziegeler at man.ac.uk,HISTLING at VM.SC.EDU
From:          Gordon Whittaker <gwhitta at gwdg.de>
Subject:       Re: query

I'm afraid you're confusing German Schauer with Schauder. Schauer is
'shower', like its English cognate going right back to Proto-Germanic ( and
to IE for 'north wind, storm wind'). Schauer (in the meaning 'shower') did
not originally mean 'cheap thrill' or 'horror'. Schauder, on the other
hand, (which, indeed, does have a variant Schauer) is simply related to
English shudder, which relates to the horror meaning.

I'm grateful for your comments, though I was not confusing the word
with Schauder - perhaps my faithful old German dictionary was.

As for biccia, tichetto and farma, etc., I don't think that's the kind of
case this thread has been discussing. Your examples are simply
straightforward loans, with the English terms adapted to Italian phonology.

Ah, I see. Maybe a better example might be found in the type of
transference occurring in the Hong Kong (street) Cantonese example:

Mouh di louh la ('no business, no work')

This example does not necesarily  result in any new lexical
additions, but it is reputed to have influenced the eventual
bankruptcy of the company Motorola in that part of the world.

Debra Ziegeler

 Gordon Whittaker
Seminar für Romanische Philologie
Humboldtallee 19