query

g.banti at agora.it g.banti at agora.it
Wed Oct 31 12:43:58 UTC 2001

I know that Chinese is full of this sort of stuff. In Italian also there are
 some examples:

baco for (computer) bug. Baco is typically the silk worm or a worm in an apple
 or a cherry. The millennium bug thus was commonly translated as il baco del millennio.

scannare jokingly as a translation of scanning. Scannare is cutting a pig's
 throat for killing it, and by extension a very expressive word for killing a person by slicing his throat. Some people also
 say scannare un documento for scanning it, otherwise a more common term is scannerizzare.

I agree that there is no common term for this kind of borrowing.

Best regards,

Giorgio Banti
Istituto Universitario Orientale di Napoli