quantitative studies of lexical change

Elizabeth Traugott traugott at csli.Stanford.EDU
Sun Aug 4 11:59:51 UTC 2002

Some of my colleagues and I would be interested to know whether
there are there quantitative studies of the frequency with which
lexical polysemies or homophonies increase or decrease, or at least of the
frequency with which generalization and specialization occur.

Also, is there any quantitative work on the gross rate at which
homophonies have been created or destroyed?  Creation might
be the effect of large-scale phonemic changes (vowel shift etc.),
reductions or other changes in individual lexemes, innovation
of new lexemes and borrowing.  Destruction of homophony
might result from evolution of distinct surface forms for previously
homophonous lexemes, or from complete elimination of some uses.

Information about any studies on the history of any language would
be much appreciated.  Please respond to me at traugott at stanford.edu.
I will post the results of this survey.

Elizabeth Traugott