Historical linguistics at the International Congress of Linguists, July 24-29, 2003

Lyle Campbell l.campbell at ling.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jul 19 00:30:11 UTC 2002

Dear Historical Linguists,

	I would like to draw your attention to the session called “Comparative
Linguistics” (which is intended to mean “historical linguistics and
language change generally”) at the XVII INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF
LINGUISTS, Prague, Czech Republic, July 24-29, 2003.  I hope we will
have a most rewarding meeting, and so encourage participation.
	The deadline for submitting an abstract is October 1, 2002.  Details
are found on  the website http://www.cil17.org/  (including information
on registration and accommodation).

The CALL FOR PAPERS reads:
Three-page abstracts of papers (both for the regular sessions and for
the workshops) and poster descriptions should be sent (preferably
electronically, or in four hard copies) to the organizer of the session
(or workshop) relevant for the topic of the paper (see list of sessions
and list of workshops [on the website]) [i.e. to me for this, as the
session organizer for the session on historical linguistics]; in case of
uncertainty about the appropriate session, the abstract may be sent to
the address of the Chair of the Scientific Committee (see below). The
authors should clearly indicate whether they submit an abstract of a
full paper or a description of a poster. Authors of the accepted papers
will be asked to send in a one-page summary of the paper in a
camera-ready format (the instructions will be sent to the authors
together with the information of acceptance), and this summary will be
printed in the volume of abstracts. The slot for paper presentation will
be 30 min long (incl. discussion).

Languages: Papers can be delivered in English, German, French or
Russian; summaries
published in the volume of abstracts should be written in English or French.

Important DATES for submission of abstracts of papers, workshop
contributions and poster
descriptions:

3-page abstracts: October 1, 2002

Information of acceptance/rejection will be sent out before:   December
31, 2002

1-page summary for publication in the proceedings:  March 31, 2003

Each abstract should contain: a separate page with the title of the
paper/poster, the author's name, and affiliation, postal address, e-mail
address and fax. The author's name should not be written on the abstract
itself.

There is a panel of some 15 internationally known historical linguist
who judge the abstracts.  As session organizer, I will be happy to try
to answer questions (though I know little more than what is on the
website at the moment).  My address (for abstract submissiosns, and
matters concerning this session) is:
e-mail: l.campbell at canterbury.ac.nz

 or

Prof.Lyle Campbell
Department of Linguistics
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch, New Zeeland

(Telephone:  64-3-364-2242 [office], Fax:  64-3-364-2969)

The address of the Chair of the Scientific Committee is:
Prof. Ferenc Kiefer
Research Institute for Linguistics
Hungarian academy of Sciences
Benczur u. 33