the history of historical linguistics

Harold Koch Harold.Koch at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 6 14:42:07 UTC 2002

Here are a few more:
Aitchison, Jean. 1981. [plus later editions] Language Change:  Progress of
Decay? Fontana.
Anderson, James. 1973. Structural aspects of language change. Longman.
Durie, Mark & Malcolm Ross (eds). 1996. The comparative method reviewed:
regularity and irregularity in language change. New York: Oxford University
Press.
Fox, Anthony. 1995. Linguistic reconstruction: an introduction to theory
and method. (Oxford Textbooks in Linguistics) Oxford UP.
Haas, Mary R. 1969. The prehistory of languages. Mouton.
King, Robert D. 1969. Historical linguistics and generative grammar.
Prentice-Hall.
Labov, William. 1994. Principles of linguistic change: Vol. 1. Internal
factors. Oxford: Blackwell.
Labov, William. 2001. Principles of linguistic change: Vol. 2. Social
factors. Oxford: Blackwell.
Lass, Roger. 1980. On explaining language change. Cambridge UP.
Meillet, Antoine. 1967. The comparative method in historical linguistics.
Paris: Champion.
Samuels, M L. 1972.  Linguistic evolution with special reference to
English. Cambridge UP.
Sturtevant, Edgar H. 1960. Linguistic change. Phoenix Books, University of
Chicago Press.

At 08:14 AM 4/06/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Members of the HISTLING-list,
>
>I am a Belgian PhD student working on the history of post-saussurean
>diachronic linguistics. The aim of my research is to write a synthetic
>study of the main theoretical findings and problems in historical
>linguistics since 1929 (publication of the "Thèses" of the Prague
>School), comparing different theoretical orientations. Roughly, I am
>presupposing three main groups:
>- structuralism/functionalism, e.g. the Prague Circle and the French
>School (Martinet)
>- Generative Grammar (King, Kiparsky, Klima,...)
>- Historical Sociolinguistics (Weinreich-Labov-Herzog,...)
>I am still putting together a corpus of representative texts, and in
>doing so, I've compiled a list of general introductions (manuals,
>readers,..) to historical linguistics, in order to see which
>authors/texts are frequently cited. So far, I have the following list:
>
>Anttila, Raimo. 1989². Historical and Comparative Linguistics.
>Amsterdam-Philadelphia: Benjamins.
>Arlotto, Anthony. 1972. Introduction to Historical Linguistics. Boston:
>Houghton Mifflin.
>Baldi, P. et al. (eds). 1978. Readings in historical phonology: chapters
>in the theory of sound change. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania State
>University Press.
>Boretzky, Norbert. 1977. Einführung in die historische Linguistik.
>Reinbeck: Rowohlt.
>Bynon, Theodora. 1977. Historical Linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge
>University Press.
>Campbell, Lyle. Historical Linguistics: an Introduction. Edinburgh:
>Edinburgh University Press.
>Cherubim, Dieter. (ed.). 1975. Sprachwandel: Reader zur diachronischen
>Sprachwissenschaft. Berlin: De Gruyter.
>Crowley, Terry. 1992². Introduction to historical linguistics. Auckland:
>Oxford University Press.
>Hock, Hans H. 1991². Principles of Historical Linguistics. Berlin:
>Mouton de Gruyter.
>Hock, Hans H - Joseph, Brian D. 1996. Language History, Language Change,
>and Language Relationship: An Introduction to Historical and Comparative
>Linguistics. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
>Hoenigswald, Henry M. 1960. Language Change and Linguistic
>Reconstruction. Chicago: University Press.
>Jeffers, Robert J. - Lehiste, Ilse. 1979. Principles and Methods for
>Historical Linguistics. Cambridge: MIT Press.
>Jones, Charles. (ed). 1993. Historical Linguistics: Problems and
>Perspectives. London: Longman.
>Keiler, Alan R. (ed.). 1972. A Reader in Historical and Comparative
>Linguistics. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston.
>Lass, Roger. 1997. Historical Linguistics and Language Change.
>Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
>Lehmann, WP. 19923. Historical Linguistics: an Introduction. London:
>Routledge.
>McMahon, April M. S. 1994. Understanding Language Change. Cambridge:
>Cambridge University Press.
>Polomé, Edgar C. (ed.). 1990. Research Guide on Language Change. Berlin:
> [...]

Dr Harold Koch
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Convenor, Graduate Progam in Linguistics
School of Language Studies
Faculty of Arts
Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

Campus location: Room W2.13, Baldessin Precinct Building (Building 110)

Telephone:  (02) 6125 3203      (overseas) 61 2 6125 3203
Fax:  (02) 6125 8214    (overseas) 61 2 6125 8214
email:  harold.koch at anu.edu.au

ANU CRICOS Provider Number 00120C