some questions

Manuel Delicado Cantero manueldelicado at hotmail.com
Mon May 6 11:40:19 UTC 2002

Hello. My name's Manuel and I'm a Spanish student of Historical Linguistics
at the University of Castilla-La Mancha in Spain. I'm working for my PhD. My
aim is to publish a critical edition of the first part of "La Corsnica de
conquiridores", a text written in the Medieval Aragonese Kingdom by the
Hospitaller Juan Fernandez de Heredia.
In otder to do that, I'm supposed to use only "philological tools" but I
think that's not fair. I mean, although I must make an edition, what I am
most interested in is "theoretical historical linguistics". I think I must
study historical linguistics and, of course, read the most recent
publications. It's not the case that my advisor tells me not to read
historical linguistics books but I'm sure that he wants me to pay more
attention to the "beauty" of the final text than to the future use of the
linguistic sources and data in the text.
For my present work I would like to construct a methodological "path" I
could follow but I've got some problems I can't solve by myself. I would
like you to help me go on, if possible. I would like to know what to do with
the next things:

- Sociolinguistics.
- Written records: are they reflexes of actual spoken language or not?
- Language contact. In fact, the text I should edit is written in a
"Mischsprache": Aragonese dialect + Castilian+ Catalan. All these languages
or dialects are most or less present in the text. and Provengal, Italian,
Latin and Byzantinian Greek sholud be taken into account too.
- Generativism applied to Historical Linguistics. I'm thinking in David
Lightfoot, Ian Roberts, Anthony Kroch. In fact I don't really know whether
they only work in Generativism or not.

Well, I hope you'll help me. Thank you very much. One more thing: I would be
very grateful if you could send me some titles I should read.
Thank you again.!Muchas gracias! Vielen Dank! Merci beaucoup! Grazie
mille!Efharisto!

"See" you soon!
Manuel.