Comparative Methodology

Ross Clark (FOA DALSL) r.clark at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 8 02:24:18 UTC 2002

Can you give an exact reference to where Bloomfield says this?
Of course, there may be situations where only binary comparison is possible
(2-language families are not unknown).
But in the case of a group of several languages known to be related, clearly
any one of them may in principle contribute information to the
reconstruction, so the more you use the better. Is "4" just a point beyond
which juggling more languages would become too complicated?
I assume these considerations would not apply to *establishing* a
relationship, as in Greenberg's work. Or would they?

Ross Clark