Who's right? (Latin future in -b-)

Guy Deutscher gd116 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 19 15:42:43 UTC 2002

Dear Histlingers,

In Linguistic accounts (e.g. Fleischman (1982)The future in thought and
language, p.34), the Latin future in -bo, -bis etc. is presented as
deriving from the grammaticalisation of the verb *bh(w)u/*bheu
('be', 'become'), which merged with the stem: ama + bhwo > amabo. This
origin is presented as a fact, or at the very least, as an entirely
secure and incontrovertible reconstruction. In the grammaticalization
literature, this development almost seems to have become a showcase
example, e.g. Hopper and Traugott 1993, p.9, but also in many other
places. Again, the derivation from an auxiliary *bheu is generally
described as a fact.

Since this is what I 'grew up' on, I was alarmed to find recently that
Indo-Europeanists are much less convinced. For example, Pisani (Storia
della Lingua Latina, 1962, p.108) doesn't seem to have any doubts that
*bheu cannot be the source of the Latin future: "Ma non detto che il -b-
 latino risalga qui a -bh-, certo esso non ha nulla a vedere con la
radice *bheu....".  Szemerényi (Introduction to Indo-European
Lingsuitics, 4h ed. OUP, 1996, p.287, note 1) is less categorical, but
makes it clear that he believes the *bheu theory to have been
superseded in recent times by the suggestion that the formation derives
from a desiderative -su-. ("The Latin b-future... was for a long time
traced back to an Italo-Celtic formation with -bh(w)o,.... but in
recent times..." )

Not being an Indo-Europeanist, I can't judge the plausibility of the
arguments presented, and so would be grateful for advice on how we
should regard this example:

1) Are the arguments of the Indo-Europeanists silly, and so to be
ignored, and we can happily go on propagating the *bheu origin as a
fact or at least secure reconstruction?

2) Are the arguments of the Indo-Europeanists not silly, but we should
ignore them anyway, just because it's a pity to let go of such a nice
example of grammaticalization?

3) Are their arguments convincing, and so we should find another
example?

I would be very grateful for any help...

Guy Deutscher.