Age of various language families

Jens Elmegaard Rasmussen jer at cphling.dk
Thu Oct 3 23:17:21 UTC 2002

While agreeing with the wise points you are making, Tore, I still think
this whole discussion is severely flawed. It is presumed that languages
diverge and become more numerous over time. They do diverge, but I would
rather tend to believe that their number keeps relatively constant (but
perhaps not now, with mass communication and cultural imperialism). What
is being counted is protolanguages and their descendants - and, oh yes,
descendants outnumber their protos. But the protos had dialects that did
not have such a fate that we have occasion to call them the protos of
anything, since they are not directly continued in anything we know. Still
they must have been there and so should be included in the assessment of
the number of languages. If we simply blindly follow the lead we may end
in the silliest of absurdities: No one, marvelling at the great dialectal
variety of Frisian versus the near-absence of dialects of Greek, would
infer that the Frisian dialects split from each other before the time of
Linear B, although that is what the principle should make us conclude. I
am sure you would get cornered at more than one point and have to declare
some IE languages older than PIE. I may in fact apply to Indo-Iranian: It
is my rough impression that the number of Indic, Dardic and Iranian
languages is today greater than that of the Indo-European languages of the
other branches combined. That would mean that the protolanguage underlying
Indo-Iranian is older than the protolanguage underlying the rest; that of
the rest is PIE; so PII is older than PIE. That will be the point where I
stop bothering about the exercise.

Jens