Age of various language families

Blaine Erickson erickson at piercingsuit.com
Mon Oct 7 11:50:35 UTC 2002

Sasha Vovin brought up some very good points about the non-correlation
between primary branches and language family age. I'd just like to point
out that although Robert Blust is an outstanding scholar and an expert in
Austronesian linguistics, his account of the branching of Austronesian is
not the only one out there. The late Stanley Starosta, another true expert
in the field, held that Austronesian had just two primary branches, and
that all the Formosan languages split of from one or another of these.
Malayo-Polynesian, also known as extra-Formosan, is quite a ways down on
the tree in his scheme, and is not even necessary for reconstructing
proto-Austronesian.

I attended a presentation of his on this a few years ago, so my memory is a
little fuzzy on details, but I do remember his data and analysis were quite
convincing. Two branches, or four, or ten, I am in no position to say.
Perhaps Austronesian is a family for which we don't yet have a consensus on
the number of primary branches. The age, however, is generally agreed to be
about 6000 years BP.

One more thought on the possible correlation between number of branches and
language family age. If Ainu is the descendant of the language originally
spoken in the Japanese archipelago, just as the people themselves appear to
be the descendants of the original inhabitants, then it is a single-member
family that goes back at least 10,000 years. (Sasha, please correct me if
I'm wrong about the number of members in Ainu--I don't have your
reconstruction handy.)

Best wishes,

Blaine Erickson
erickson at piercingsuit.com