Age of various language families

Mikael Parkvall parkvall at ling.su.se
Mon Sep 30 20:25:17 UTC 2002

We're getting pretty far away from my original query now, but this is of
course also interesting.

Jens Elmegaard Rasmussen wrote:

>There just is no such thing as a rule of language survival. Tribes and
>peoples influence each other by domination and genocide, some disappear by
>famine or floods. The oldest language group of all may have completely
>vanished, the most proliferate may be of quite recent making (as a
>split-off from something which has not remained or cannot be made out to
>be related). The whole expectation the rpompted the question is based on a
>monumental mistake. Sorry, but that's how clear it is to me.

I think there is one important flaw in this reasoning. First of all, let us
limit ourselves to proto-languages which have descendants today --
otherwise, we'd simply get too speculative. Secondly, note that when I
(somewhat sloppily perhaps) used the word "age", what I really meant is
"time depth". In other words, the "age" of a given family is defined by the
first known split-up.

Then let's discuss extinction. Any language risks disappearing, be it due
to smallpox, assimilation, flooding or whatever. A "family" consisting of
only one language would be wiped out if this sole language were to become
extinct. Meanwhile, another family with hundreds of members could lose some
of these, and yet continue to exist. In other words, a single natural
disaster could indeed wipe out all speakers of Basque, but hardly all
speakers of, say, Austronesian (lest it kills of humanity entirely).

There is no a priori reason why a meteor (or disease or assimilation) would
target any specific language, nor is there any reason to suppose that
splitting would be biased. Thus, we have to assume that all languages
multiply and die regardless of their genetic relationship.

If we were to ask "which groups is more likely to have eight members
tomorrow -- a) the one which currently has six, or b) the one which
currently has two?", the answer must be a), since splitting is random, and
there are three times as many potential mothers in one of the groups. Then,
let's look at the same scenario the other way: "which group is most likely
to have been one single language yesterday -- a) the one which currently
has six members, or b) the one which currently has two?".

Note however, that we're dealing with _likelihood_ here -- reality may of
course look different. Even unlikely things happen, of course.

In an expanding population, an individual high up in the family tree is
likely to have more descendants than an individual further down. It is
highly likely that my great-great-great-great-grandfather has more living
descendants than you yourself have. It could be argued here that the number
of languages on earth has remained constant, as opposed to the number of
people, but if we limit ourselves to proto-languages with surviving
daughters, the number of languages must certainly have increased over the
past 10000 or whatever years.

In other words, it is certainly possible, as Jens suggests, that "the most
proliferate [family] may be of quite recent  making", but, I maintain, it
is statistically less likely. I suspect that if we looked closer at this,
the correlation between family time-depth and number of attested daughters
would be a weak one, but it would be more likely to be positive than
negative. Also, we might possibly gain some insights by pondering upon the
cases which are more aberrant than others.

My ability of making myself understood seems to have reached an
all-time-low these past few days, but hopefully somebody understood
something of what I was trying to say above.

In any case, while I enjoy discussing this, I would also love receiving the
additional data I my original query concerned. That way we could at least
get an empirical reusult (albeit a shaky one) to compare my guess with.

/MP

Mikael Parkvall
Institutionen för lingvistik
Stockholms Universitet
SE-10691 STOCKHOLM
(rum 276)

+46 (0)8 16 14 41, +46 (0)8 656 68 24 (hem)
Fax: +46 (0)8 15 53 89

parkvall at ling.su.se