haben (have) vs habere (haber, haver, avoir)

Karen Scott scot0286 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Feb 21 15:03:29 UTC 2003

haben (have) vs habere (haber, haver, avoir)

Does anyone have any information or good sources that discuss the relationship between the Germanic and Romance verbs that can be translated as "have"?  They look tantalizingly similar, however, I've been told that they don't have the same origin.  Does know of any articles that treat this problem?

If they are of separate origins, are there articles or books out there that discuss a possible Sprachbund situation as regards the similarity of meaning and form of these words?  I'd like to be able to find out if the Romance languages influenced the Germanic languages in the use of 'haben' as an auxiliary verb.

Any information that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Karen Scott
scot0286 at umn.edu