spanish 'tener' vs. portuguese 'ter' vs. french 'tenir'

George Hinge klagh at HUM.AU.DK
Fri Feb 21 18:10:28 UTC 2003

scot0286 at TC.UMN.EDU skriver:
> I'm looking for information on the development of these particular words
>from their common Latin source.  I'd like to explore if there are any
>factors that would shed some light on how/why they've developed
>differently.
>
>French tenir = 'to hold'
>Spanish tener = 'to have'
>Port. ter = 'to have (both possesion and auxilliary)'
>
>Also, does anyone know of any Germanic verb with the same IE root?
>
>Thank you,
>Karen Scott
>scot0286 at umn.edu

German dehnen "prolong", Gothic ufthanjan, Old Norse thenja < IE
*ton-eie-, apparently a causative of the root *ten-.

George Hinge, PhD, Assistant Professor
Danish National Research Foundation's Center of Black Sea Studies
University of Aarhus, Denmark
www.GeorgeHinge.com