French <ai> vs. <oi>

Martha Ratliff martha_ratliff at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Jan 30 15:57:18 UTC 2003

John and all --

When dealing with unwritten languages we do not have the luxury of
confirming textual evidence, but I have recently appealed to the
French development of e > oi in my reconstruction and account of the
development of certain vowels in the Hmong-Mien (Miao-Yao) family of
Southeast Asia.  I find that for three correspondence sets there is
no other way to link the vowels of one side of the family, Mienic,
which is very conservative with respect to rimes but shows no
evidence of rounding, with the rounded reflexes on the Hmongic side.
So I reconstruct just such a "post consonantal [w]" which I figure
must have disappeared in Mienic.  If anyone wants details, I can
supply them.

Martha

--
Martha Ratliff