Raising of unstressed vowels in Eng from schwa to /I/

Cecil Ward cecil at cecilward.com
Fri Jul 18 12:56:42 UTC 2003

John Hewson wrote:
> Remember AA Milne's
>       They're changing the guard at Buckingham Palice;
>       Christopher Robin went down with Alice.

This development seems to me to be patchy. I was asking myself the question
whether the spread of this phenomenon is due to analogy.

It seems to me that there are two possibilities, one is that this is a
"phonetic" development, by which I mean that the conditioning factors are
predictable from the phonetic environment. Maybe, but I don't see it.

The second possibility is that speakers have come to have certain words
stored in their lexicon as containing an //I//, whereas the "correct",
written form has a different vowel.

If this is the case, selective analogy could be responsible on a
case-by-case basis, analogy with other "legitimate" word-elements, and this
might involve "knowledge" of morphology.

Possible candidates that I might expect to find, off the top of my head,
would be things like

        pre- /pri/- vs pro- giving forms like *"pretect" (=protect),
*"previde" (=provide) by analogy with "prevent", "pretend" for example.

John's example of "palice" = "Alice" is another good candidate, because -ice
(pronounced with non-schwa) is a legitimate suffix, and so is -ace. Although
I can't think of a great number of examples right now
        -ace    Horace terrace menace solace
        -ice    lattice malice crevice avarice

For example, one might expect there to be pressure on "Eustace", because of
Doris, Phyllis, Eunice, Norris, Morris, Willis, Harris, Davies.

If forms like disagreeable or igreeable or even igree (=agree) are heard,
then I would consider that as a problem for this "analogy" theory.

John Hewson wrote:
> And there are all the plurals in [-iz], horses, boxes, matches, pages,
the 3rd sing verb forms in similar circumstances: smashes, catches,
dodges, passes, buzzes, and the past tense markers after /t,d/: waited,
boarded.

Good point. Are these forms then sources for analogical spread?

Cecil Ward.