farmers and lg dispersal

Henning Andersen andersen at ucla.edu
Fri May 2 11:33:33 UTC 2003

Dear All,

In case you don't have access to the *Science* website, you can read
a summary of Diamond & Bellwood's findings/theses on the UCLA home
page: www.ucla.com. It' under "In the News".

Diamond is quoted as saying "I wake up in the morning and think
farmers spread Indo-European languages, and by 6 p.m. I've changed my
mind".

The fact that the authors have more trouble with Indo-European than
with any of the other language families reminds one of "Ebeling's
paradox" -- the more information one has about a language the harder
it is to assign it a unique description -- mutatis mutandis.