Historical Spanish OT

D. Eric Holt DEHolt01 at gwm.sc.edu
Thu Dec 23 15:00:20 UTC 2004

Dear fellow list members,

I'm compiling a bibliography of those published works that treat aspects of historical change in Spanish, and Hispano-Romance more broadly, within Optimality Theory. I append below those that I've collected so far (omitting my own work), and hoped that you would be able to help fill in any gaps. (Conference presentations are harder to track down, but would be welcome as well.) I'll post a summary.

Many thanks, and Happy Holidays,

Eric Holt

--
Bradley, Travis G. and Ann Marie Delforge. To appear (2005). Systemic Contrast and the Diachrony of Spanish Sibilant Voicing. In Historical Romance Linguistics: Retrospectives and Perspectives, ed. Deborah Arteaga and Randall Gess. Amsterdam: Benjamins.

Hartkemeyer, Dale. 1997. Romancing the Vowels: An Optimality-Theoretic Account of Vowel Loss from Vulgar Latin to Early Western Romance. Studies in the Linguistic Sciences 27.99-117.

-. 2000. An Approach to Atonic Vowel Loss Patterns in Two Early W. Romance Grammars: A Contrastive Examination of Old French and Old Spanish. In New Approaches to Old Problems: Issues in Romance Historical Linguistics. Selected Papers from the LSRL XXIX Parasession, ed. Steven N. Dworkin & Dieter Wanner, 65-84. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Lleó, Conxita. 2003. Some Interactions between Word, Foot and Syllable Structure in the History of the Spanish Language. In Optimality Theory and Language Change, ed. D. Eric Holt, 249-283. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.

Martínez, Glenn A. Analogy and Optimality Theory in a Morphological Change of Southwest Spanish. In New Approaches To Old Problems: Issues In Romance Historical Linguistics, ed. Steven N. Dworkin and Dieter Wanner, 85-96. Amsterdam: Benjamins.

Martínez-Gil, Fernando. 2003. Consonant Intrusion in Heterosyllabic Consonant-Liquid Clusters in Old Spanish and Old French: An Optimality Theoretical Account. In A Romance Perspective on Language Knowledge and Use, ed. Rafael Núñez-Cedeño, Luis López, and Richard Cameron, 39-58. Amsterdam: Benjamins.

-. 2003. Resolving Rule-Ordering Paradoxes of Serial Deviations: An Optimality-Theoretic Account of the Interaction of Spirantization and Voicing Assimilation in Peninsular Spanish. In Theory, Practice and Acquisition, ed. Paula Kempchinsky and Carlos-Eduardo Piñeros, 40-67. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.

Morris, Richard E. 2005. Attraction to the Unmarked in Old Spanish Leveling. Selected Proceedings of the 7th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium (University of New Mexico, October 16-18, 2003), ed. David Eddington, 180-191. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.

I'm also aware of two dissertations (other than my own):

Alers-Valentín, Hilton. 2000. The Prosodic Structure of the Spanish Verb: Evolution and Configuration. PhD dissertation, University of Massachusetts.

Baker, Gary K. 2004. Palatal Phenomena in Spanish Phonology. PhD dissertation, University of Florida, Gainesville.

D. Eric Holt
Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures and
Linguistics Program, Graduate Director
University of South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina 29208
(803) 777-0798 (office)