Resumptive pronouns

Jeffrey Goldberg J.Goldberg at cranfield.ac.uk
Sat Apr 17 21:16:03 UTC 1999

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, R.D.Borsley wrote:

> Can anyone point me to any HPSG literature on resumptive pronouns?

Interesting question (for which I don't have an answer, having not
followed the literature for a decade now).  I remember spending some time
back in 1986 or 87 puzzling over this.  I always felt that the LFG
treatment of these was on the right track, and I put some (but not a great
deal of) effort into seeing whether I could lift the LFG analysis and make
it work in HPSG.  I failed.

But whether it is because

   (1) it can't be done that way
   (2) it shouldn't be done that way
   (3) I didn't try hard enough

is a mystery to me.  If I recall, I couldn't see how to get the effect of
LFGs completeness requirement and "PRED uniqueness".

Also, keep in mind the an analysis of resumptive pronouns is, in my
opinion, going to be very closely linked to a treatment of clitic
doubling.  There has been a great deal of work on that, and I think that
that is where I would start looking if I were going to look at this again
(which I'm not).

Cheers,

-j
--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814