Scrambling in Japanese

Tibor Kiss kiss at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Jul 15 13:26:03 UTC 1999

Hi everybody,

I have a question concerning scrambling in Japanese: Given ditransitive
constructions in Japanese, is it possible to scramble both objects in front
of (i.e. to the left of) the subject, as illustrated in (1)?

(1) Daremo-ni     dareka-o          John-ga syookaisita (koto).
     everyone-dat somebody-acc John-nom introduced

Moreover, if (1) is well-formed, is it ambiguous, as e.g. (2) is? I dare
say it's not.

(2) John-ga    dareka-o          daremo-ni     syookaisita (koto).
     John-nom somebody-acc everyone-dat introduced

It has been claimed by various authors that examples like (2) are
ambiguous. It would follow from analyses like Hoji (1986) that (1) is
ambiguous, too. Mysteriously, the analysis put forth in Aoun/Li (1993)
suggests that (1) is not possible at all, because they assume that
scrambling in Japanese is NP-movement to SpecIP. Since there is only one
SpecIP, (1) should not be possible.

Thanx in advance,

Tibor

Prof. Dr. Tibor Kiss
Sprachwissenschaftliches Institut -- Ruhr-Universität Bochum -- D-44780
Bochum
+49-234-700-5114 // +49-177-7468265
Ueberquert man jene letzte Grenze, ist man letztlich zu weit gegangen und
wird vernichtet.