call for nomination, HPSG standing committee

Tsuneko Nakazawa tsuneko at boz.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed Jun 16 09:58:43 UTC 1999

Dear HPSGers,

HPSG standing committee announces two vacancies in the committee
and calls for nominations.

The function of the committee is to make sure that a conference
focusing on HPSG-related topics is held regularly.  (I've attached
a document about it below.)  As a one means of involving more of
the scholarly community, membership in the committee is rotated to
regularly bring in new people.  Since the terms of John Nerbonne,
a regular member, and Detmar Meurers, the student member, are about
to be up, we would like to find replacements for them.

The purpose of this mail is to soicit nominations for one regular
member and one student member of the committee.

The task of committee members is to participate in deliberations about
yearly conferences.  For this we'd like someone who's reliable and
willing to chase down information when this is needed.  We'd also like
to keep a balance of interests, constituencies and biographies.

For clarification: a 'nomination' is a proposal, it is not a vote.
With an eye to maintaining civility, we do NOT propose a public
discussion of scholarly and personal qualities or even indirect
comparison, since such matters are sensitive.  Nominations should thus
be sent to the committee ALONE, not the HPSG list.  You can send them
to me, and I'll put something together for the committee so that we
can try to decide quickly.

Please submit your nominations in this form:

1. Name of nominee, email, whether the nination is for a
   regular/student member
2. Your name, email
3. Assurance that this person would agree if selected.
   !! please cc your nomination to the nominee so that (s)he knows!!
4. your reasons, if any.  Please be brief (50 wd.)

Nominations will close two weeks after this is posted (end of June).

Tsuneko Nakazawa
chair, HPSG Standing Committee
tsuneko at boz.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

                        HPSG Standing Committee

The primary task of the standing committee is to see that the yearly
conference is organized, preferably at accessible places and regular
intervals.  The standing committee consists of seven regular members,
including one student member, plus two permanent members (i.e., nine
in total).  Carl Pollard and Ivan Sag are the permanent members.
Regular members serve a term of three years, which may be extended for
a second three years, but only once.

The chair is chosen from the standing committee and normally serves
two years as chair.  The chair is named one year in advance (in order
to follow preparations in detail), and stays on a year in the
committee after being chair so that that experience is readily
available.  If necessary, the chair's term on the committee is
extended to comply with these rules.  So the chair named in 6/97
(Tsuneko Nakazawa) gets cc'd on the mail leading up to the Summer
'98 conference, and has responsibility in '99 and '00, and then will
stay in the loop for 2001 (which would be the responsibility of the
incoming chair).

Previous members may be renominated (after a break in service); in
particular, nothing should prevent student members from serving
as non-student members.

Memberships in standing committee:
Daniele Godard
Claire Grover