CFP: Generative Linguistics in Poland

Piotr Banski bansp at plearn.edu.pl
Mon Jun 28 23:54:33 UTC 1999

Dear Listers,

Please accept my apologies in case you are going to see this message
again - I had a mail server problem on Friday as a result of which
most of my mail sent then is lost or perhaps just queued. I forward
the original message below.

Piotr

---
Piotr Banski <bansp at plearn.edu.pl>
Institute of English Studies
University of Warsaw
Nowy Swiat 4
00-497 Warszawa
Poland

(We apologize if you get this message more than once)

                GENERATIVE LINGUISTICS IN POLAND
                     (syntactic meeting)

Dates: 13-14 November, 1999
Location: Warszawa

Sponsored by:
Institute of English Studies, University of Warsaw
Institute of Computer Science, Polish Academy of Sciences

                    1st CALL FOR PAPERS

GLiP is meant to bring together generative syntacticians from all
university and research centres of Poland in an attempt to facilitate
interaction and collaboration between them in a friendly and informal
atmosphere, possibly on a regular basis. It is definitely time for us
to get to know one another and learn what we work on, what
theoretical approaches we use and what data we describe; the task of
GLiP is to help us in this respect.

We invite abstracts on any aspect of generative syntax in any
generative approach: P&P (Minimalism, GB), HPSG, LFG, OT, etc. Talks
will be organized around major syntactic topics, depending on the
content of the submissions.

Two categories of talks are initially planned: standard (20 minutes +
10 minute discussion) and extended (30 minutes + 15 minute
discussion). The extra time will be devoted to introducing the basic
machinery of the given branch of generative syntax for those not
familiar with it. At the end of every session, a 15/20 minute general
discussion is planned.

Languages of the workshop are English (because we consider it the
lingua franca of generative syntax) and Polish. This does not mean,
however, that the audience is to be limited to English and Polish
philologists. Quite on the contrary - we count on meeting _anyone_
who works within the generative tradition, and therefore we request
that you forward this Call For Papers to other linguistic departments
at your academic institution. Ph.D. and M.A. students are also warmly
invited.

During the workshop, we hope to arrange a separate short session
devoted to discussion of proposals for Polish generative syntactic
terminology.

A volume of proceedings is also planned.

ORGANIZERS:

Piotr Banski, Institute of English Studies, University of Warsaw

Adam Przepiorkowski, Institute of Computer Science, Polish Academy of
Sciences

ACCOMODATION: Accomodation will be provided at the university hotel.
For details please see our web page (address below).

MEALS: Apart from bisquits/coffee/tea, meals will not be provided.

CONFERENCE FEES:

Faculty: 30 PLN
Ph.D. students: 20 PLN
M.A. students: 10 PLN

DATES:

- DEADLINE for submissions of abstracts: 10 September 1999.
- Notification of acceptance: 15 October
- Meeting: 13-14 November

- Deadline for submissions of papers for the proceedings volume:
 10 December 1999.

ABSTRACTS should be *anonymous* and consist of up to 700 words,
together with examples and references.

Only one submission per person and one joint submission will be
considered.

We accept abstracts *EXCLUSIVELY* in ASCII format. If data involving
diacritics is quoted, please omit them unless they are essential for
the proper interpretation of the proposal - in such cases, use the
ASCII characters to mark them.

IMPORTANT: At the beginning of your e-mail, please supply the
following information:
- name, title
- title of the paper
- affiliation
- email address
- snail mail address

Unless you send the abstract as attachment (please recall that we
accept plain ASCII text only!), we request that you add several blank
lines between the personal information and the abstract proper, to
facilitate anonymous review.

ADDRESSES:

PLEASE NOTE: ONLY *E-MAIL* SUBMISSIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED
Please send your abstracts to:

 Adam Przepiorkowski <adamp at IPIPAN.Waw.PL>

with a CC to:

 Piotr Banski <bansp at plearn.edu.pl>

For MORE INFORMATION see:

http://www.ipipan.waw.pl/mmgroup/GLiP-1/

PRELIMINARY REGISTRATION (IMPORTANT!):

If you are (tentatively) interested in taking part in this workshop,
please, send your email address to Adam Przepiorkowski
(adamp at IPIPAN.Waw.PL) with a CC to Piotr Banski (bansp at plearn.edu.pl).
Most future announcements, changes, etc., will be mailed only to so
registered prospective participants (and not to general linguistic lists).