Ref Request: Adverbial Scope in Japanese

Ryan Ginstrom ryan at csli.stanford.edu
Wed May 19 21:11:24 UTC 1999

Dear All,

	I'm looking for references regarding the scoping facts of
evidential versus non-evidential adverbs in Japanese. Specifically, I have
noticed that these two classes of adverb seem to scope differently with
causatives, i.e. the former can only take 'outside' scope and the latter
can take either 'outside' or 'inside' scope. Note that so-called
sentential modifiers such as saiwai 'fortunately' behave the same way
as non-evidential adverbs in terms of scope over complex predicates. I've
attached some examples to the bottom of this message.

 	This seems to indicate that point-of-view adverbs are somehow
blocked from taking inside scope in Japanese complex predicates; this is
interesting, because it would seem easier to account for this type
of blocking effect with a monoclausal account.

	I've looked at the literature on Japanese adverbs, but can't seem
to find anything that specifically refers to these facts. Any pointers
would be much appreciated.

(1) waza-to 'on purpose' vs. waza-to-rashiku 'seemingly on purpose'

   a. Kaoru-ga  Masumi-ni  waza-to    korob-ase-ta
      Kaoru-NOM Masumi-LOC on.purpose fall-cause-PAST
      'Kaoru made Masumi fall on purpose'

      Kaoru acted purposefully
      *Masumi fell purposefully

   b. Kaoru-ga  Masumi-ni  waza-to-rashiku      korob-ase-ta
      Kaoru-NOM Masumi-LOC seemingly.on.purpose fall-cause-PAST
      'Kaoru made Masumi fall seemingly on purpose'

      Kaoru seemed to act purposefully
      Masumi seemed to fall purposefully

(2) heiki-ni 'calmly' vs. heiki-soo-ni 'seemingly calmly'

   a. Kaoru-ga  Masumi-ni  heiki-ni tabe-sase-ta
      Kaoru-NOM Masumi-LOC calmly   eat-cause-PAST
      'Kaoru made Masumi eat calmly'

      Kaoru acted calmly
      *Masumi ate calmly

   b. Kaoru-ga  Masumi-ni  heiki-soo-ni     tabe-sase-ta
      Kaoru-NOM Masumi-LOC seemingly.calmly eat-cause-PAST
      'Kaoru made Masumi eat seemingly calmly'

      Kaoru seemed act calmly
      Masumi seemed to eat calmly

(3) saiwa 'fortunately'

      saiwai      Kaoru-ga  Masumi-ni  tabe-sase-ta
      fortunately Kaoru-NOM Masumi-LOC eat-cause-PAST
      'fortunately, Kaoru made Masumi eat'

      it was fortunate that Kaoru caused Masumi to eat
      *it was fortunate that Masumi ate

Regards,

Ryan Ginstrom
email:  ryan at csli.stanford.edu