Japanese morphology

GUNJI Takao gunji at sils.shoin.ac.jp
Tue Sep 21 23:03:33 UTC 1999

>>> Emily == bender at csli.stanford.edu (Emily Bender) wrote
>>> at Tue, 21 Sep 1999 06:17:36 -0700 (PDT):

Emily> I'm looking for recent work on Japanese morphology in J/HPSG.
Emily> In particular, I'm interested in which formal devices are being
Emily> used (lexical rules, types, ... ?).  Any pointers will be greatly
Emily> appreciated.

I have my own idea about how complex predicates are formed in my
causative paper included in a book to be published by CUP.  Ivan has a
copy of the draft.  The main idea is parallel construction of the
morpho-phonological structure and synsem structure ('merging without
spell-out' :-)

There might be some relevant papers in Gunji and Hasida (eds.), Topics
in Constraint-based Grammar of Japanese (Kluwer, 1998). One of the
papers deals Japanese phonology.

Actually there aren't so much research done yet, so you can, and have
to, make your own theory.

Best,

Takao
--
Shoin Institute for Linguistic Sciences, Kobe Shoin Women's University
Address:  1-2-1 Shinohara Obanoyama cho, Nada, Kobe 657-0015