Book announcement

Andreas Kathol kathol at socrates.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 27 23:24:40 UTC 2000

<SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION>

LINEAR SYNTAX, Oxford University Press, 2000.

Andreas Kathol

BLURB: This volume makes a case for a critical reassessment of the
wide-spread view that syntax can be reduced to tree structures,
arguing for concepts that are defined in terms of linear order. By
connecting the descriptive tools of modern phrase-structure grammar
with traditional descriptive scholarship, Andreas Kathol offers a new
perspective on many long-standing problems in syntactic theory.

* Based on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar

* Addresses wide variety of issues of German syntax, including
  complementizers, finite verbs, wh-phrases, and ordering within the
  'verbal cluster'

* Adopts constructional view of sentence types

http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-823734-0
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0198237340.html

PS: The table of contents on the US OUP site contains a spelling error
    (read: "formal" for "normal").
PPS: I'm entitled to a 33% author discount on this book which I'd be
     happy to pass on to whoever is interested (US$ only).

</SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION>