Summer Student (fwd)

Ivan A. Sag sag at csli.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 14 21:43:01 UTC 2000

------- Forwarded Message
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:13:32 +0000 (GMT)
From: SHALOM LAPPIN <shalom.lappin at kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 12:16:55 -0500
From: jprager at us.ibm.com
Subject: Summer Student

[...]

Question Answering is a relatively new subfield of Information Retrieval
aimed at returning to the user either explicit answers, or at least
passages containing them, in response to fact-seeking questions.  This is
in distinction from traditional IR which simply returns lists of document
ids.  To do well at QA, the system must perform, at a minimum, shallow NLP
and employ some world knowledge.  We are looking for a summer student to
assist us in the task of integrating an ontology with our QA system and
expanding the ontology for specific domains.  The applicant should have a
background in computational linguistics, cognitive science, knowledge
representation or related field, and have good programming skills; advanced
graduate students are preferred.  Please send resumes to
     Dr. John M. Prager
     IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
     P.O. Box 704, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA
or
     jprager at us.ibm.com
To find out more about summer jobs in general at IBM Research, go to
http://www.research.ibm.com/summerjobs/.

------- End of Forwarded Message