Spanish clitics

Paola Monachesi Paola.Monachesi at let.uu.nl
Mon Feb 28 17:02:41 UTC 2000

Hi Randy,
I have discussed the different uses of Italian 'se' in my 1999 CSLI book
on Italian clitics (A lexical approach to Italian cliticization).
They are more or less similar to the uses in Spanish. I have a chapter
on `si' and quite a lot of references to previous work.
There is a use which I think is more common in Spanish than in Italian,
which is the aspectual/benefactive use of 'si' (se come una manzana), I also
discuss it in the book. I try to show that approaches that try to unify
all these different uses of 'si' cannot work because the properties
of 'si' in the various uses are quite different, so unification is
possible only at an abstract level (i.e. the same phonology is shared
in all these different uses).

In the book, I also consider clitic ordering in Italian, arguing aganist
a templatic approach and suggesting that the combination of clitics
forms a new unit. I also discuss previous approaches extensively, so you
can find a reference to many of the works on clitic ordering. As
Berthold said there is quite a lot of work on clitic ordering within
OT, however they rely on templates to account for clitic ordering
which they simulate through appropriate ordering constraints.

Ciao,

Paola

> Dear All,
>
> Can someone suggest any references on the treatment of Spanish clitics?
> I'm particularly interested in "se" in all of its functions, as well as
> any ordering principles (like Perlmutter's output constraint on clitic
> ordering:  se II I III, referring to "se"<2nd person<1st person<3rd
> person. The reflexive use of "se" is straightforward, as in:
>    Se mataron. -> They killed themselves/each other.
> It's all the other uses of "se" that I'm curious about.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> Randy Sharp
> University of British Columbia

Paola Monachesi                               * Tel:+31-(0)30-2536653
Utrecht University                            * Fax:+31-(0)30-2536000
Utrecht Institute of Linguistics - OTS        *
Trans 10,                                     *
NL-3512 JK Utrecht                            *
The Netherlands                               *
http://www-uilots.let.uu.nl/~Paola.Monachesi *