something to take note of

Paulo Chagas de Souza pcsouza at usp.br
Sun Jun 4 07:27:57 UTC 2000

Dear colleagues,

I read Levine's message and I have a few comments about it. In his 1986 book
(Knowledge of Language), Chomsky discusses two important issues, which he
names Plato's Problem (how do we know so much given that the evidence
available to us is so sparse?) and Orwell's Problem (why do we know and
understand so little given that the evidence available to us is so rich?).

Most of the book is devoted to discussing Plato's Problem. I haven't read
Chomsky's writing on sociological issues, but I gather that's where he
discusses Orwell's Problem, which is one instance of the so called
"manufacture of consent" or "engineering of consent".

In my view, Orwell's Problem is just as important for linguistic theorists
as Plato's Problem is deemed to be.

One illustration of its importance is the unscientific revolution commented
upon in Johnson, Lappin and Levine's paper, after which a phenomenon such as
government and its proper definition, which were central concerns of the
previous paradigm, are now non-existent issues which play no role in the
theory of grammar. I wonder if I'm stretching things a bit too far or I am
right in thinking this is reminding of wars with Eurasia or Eastasia.

Another one is the curious disappearance of some authors from the lists of
references appearing in articles stemming from the Chomskyan paradigm (I
won't mention any names, but some linguists who work on the West Coast are
clear examples). I wonder if they suddenly become unlinguists .

A closely related issue is the absence of any mention of notions such as
unification in the Minimalist Program, even though it has been around for
quite some time, at least for the sake of refuting it altogether (I presume
scientists should at least acknowledge the existence of related work in
their fields, even if they do not adhere to those other views). Well, if
Government and Binding Theory was fundamentally wrong but gets some credit
in Chomsky's recent papers nonetheless, shouldn't he give the devil his due
and acknowledge the existence of others who have been working basically on
the same issues, even if they turn out to be wrong? Or are some mistakes
more equal than the others?

One last point is the massive translation of research conducted in GB into a
new format, even if this format apparently has no empirical gain. Quia
magister dixit? Isn't that to some extent a form of Newspeak, i.e., a new
way of saying the same thing without using unwords?

These notes are not too well-thought or well-written but I think they are
pretty much on the right track. I'll be looking forward to comments on these
thoughts.

Paulo

Paulo Chagas de Souza
Linguistics Department